The only limitations in home decor is our own lack of imagination, with shabby chic we can allow our imaginations to be free from limitations. Anything worth while involves some challenges and to make shabby chic furniture part of your chic decor scheme, you’ll need to include these following elements: use items that have been heavily painted through the years, with many areas showing the under coats of previous paints. One way to obtain this trend is to use imitation, to accomplish this faux painting is used with glaze, or by painting and then making the wood or base coats show by rubbing and sanding away the top coats of paint.
Create your own shabby chic in fabrics. What you think about will come about, remember these simple principles for success: fabrics most used tend to be cottons or linens, linens are the most popular choice being influenced by old French linens. The trend is to use whites, bleached, and worn out pastels, one idea is to stain fabrics using tea to give them the look of being aged. To achieve success with this style, keep emphases on bleached and faded items.
The art of today’s style is to use a piece of furniture of particular interest or antique. Ideally with the original aged paint or painted white pieces, at the corners rub or sand away the top coat of paint making the wood or base paint show. Change your thoughts of home decorating, and decorate with excitement using shabby chic ideas such as pillows made of barkcloth fabric, vintage linens, chenille bedspreads, vintage chandeliers, any items with roses on it. This style is thought to be soft, relaxed and feminine, it is a romantic way of decorating that feels comfortable and inviting. This type of decor is called the cottage style as well.
Shabby Chic design is a beautiful expression of what we think and feel about pieces of decor. After the release of Rachel Ashwell’s 1996 book, Shabby Chic. Along with adding the richness of taste and freedom this style can be affordable, while adding a touch of days gone by. The true beauty is revealed in muted green, pastel pink and faded gray, in a world where there was no place for old or used furniture, worn rugs, vintage bedspreads, or many other decor items with peeling paint, somehow the world has adapted to their beauty.
Love for decor is what makes this style so interesting, some ideas:
* To express the inexpressible start in your attic or basement (or your mother or grandfather’s). The idea is to choose usable discarded or unused pieces. This style will make a once undesirable piece of furniture a stylish piece of shabby vintage.
* Look for agreeable surprises at flea markets and yard sales ( use a Flea Market Guide to locate one near you). By using your imagination transform an unsightly piece into modern stylish decor with a fresh coat of white, green, or pink paint.
* With belief in the imagination we can capture beauty, some ideas include: a painted chair placed into an empty corner with a vase of flowers on the seat, free the beauty of your imagination by using an old trunk as a coffee table. The imagination rules use quilts as sofa throws ( instead of a couch slipcover), and large baskets to hold everything from A-Z. Let your ingenuity surprise you.
* Give your imagination wings; refurbish an antique chandelier and hang old costume jewelry necklaces in a young girl’s room. This idea will convert a room in your home into a room in a castle.
*Remove the boundaries of your imagination, use extra pillows made of barkcloth fabric on your couch, place a quilt or blanket over a chair (instead of a chair slipcover).
* Mix patterns, textures, and colors as a great rich mixture, forget the old rule of a room should have no more than three colors and patterns. The idea is to create a mixture of things you love, as if to say we are the creatures of situations and circumstances, the mind appreciates the impressions of the senses and the freedom of imagination.
Decorate your home with grace, for decor will make your home a place to heal and restore spirits. In this discussion we talked about the beauty shabby chic will add to your decor, and if economics is given consideration, you may possibly save with this style of decorating. Now that you have the secrets take the time to deliberate, then map a course of action and go through with it. I hope you’ve found this article helpful and desire more discussions with me on home decor, and will look for articles and hubs by me on this exciting subject.